- The (Political) Science of Salt
- Raising the World's I.Q.
- Is sea salt better for you than regular salt?
- Salt Guru on Sea Salt (video)
- Salt Guru on Obesity (video)
- Salt Guru: Salt Roasting Sea Bass(video)
- Salt Guru: Iodized Salt (video)
- Salt, Blood Pressure & Cardiovascular Disease
- Sodium intake and mortality
- Sodium/Water balance important to health--WebMD video
The (Political) Science of Salt
Gary Taubes, Science, August 14, 1998
Three decades of controversy over the putative blood pressure benefits from salt reduction are demonstrating how the demands of good science clash with the pressures of public health policy. Early studies seemed to support the value of salt reduction, leading to the current recommendation that everyone limit salt intake to no more than 6 grams a day, four less than our current average. But as the studies have improved, the apparent benefits have diminished, while the debate has grown more vitriolic. Advocates of the public-health orthodoxy of salt reduction have often cited only those studies that bolster their position while criticizing the motives of their opponents.